Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office
August 9, 2004
Child Passenger Safety Law Effective July 1, 2004
The 2004 Iowa Legislature passed new mandates for child safety restraints. On July 1, 2004 an 18- month educational phase-in period for those mandates went into effect. The Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office and the Iowa Department of Public Safety Bureau are working together to educate parents and caregivers on the upgraded child passenger safety law.
During the 8- month educational phase-in period that became effective on July 1, 2004, drivers will be issued warnings if their child:
· under 1 year of age and weighing less than 20 lbs. is not in a rear-facing child restraint system;
· over 1 year of age up to age 6 is not secured in a child restraint system (child safety or booster seat);
· from age 6 up to age 11 is not secured in a booster seat or vehicle safety belt or harness.
T should be noted that citations may still be issued to the driver for violations of the restrictions listed in the prior law which include a child:
· under the age of 3 and not in a child restraint system;
· between 3 and 6 years of age and not in a child restraint system or wearing a seat belt;
· age 6 or older and not wearing a seat belt while sitting in the front seat.
To educate families about the upgrade child passenger safety law the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office had educational guides in English and Spanish on hand for your use, as well as information on the school bus exemption noted in the law. You may also contact the State Child Passenger Safety Coordinator for the Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Emergency Medical Services Matt Meneough at 515-250-3562 or 800-728-3367. For certified child passenger safety technicians or information regarding check p events or fit stations in our area, please visit the website at www.blankschildren.org/cps.
For information regarding the upgraded law and other occupant protection issues please contact Occupant Protection Coordinator Lu Simpson of the Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau at 515-281-6583.